Founded in 1985 by Françoise and Jean-Marie Schmitt, the Institut d’Études Supérieures des Arts (IESA) is a private educational group based in Paris, France. It has been officially recognized by the French Ministry of Culture and Communication since 1998.
Our three departments encompass a wide range of disciplines in the cultural sector.
With its three departments covering three broad areas of study (art expertise, cultural events and heritage, and new technologies) IESA offers students a well-rounded view of the cultural sector. Our aim is to offer a new cross-disciplinary approach, freeing different cultural fields (the art market, tourism, publishing, event planning, and the performing arts) from their rigid categories and familiarizing students with a range of disciplines that they might otherwise not have a chance to study.
In addition to its programs of study, IESA is also involved in academic publishing, both traditional and online.
Programs for students:
- In the “Art Market and Expertise” department: undergraduate program, master’s level programs (including 2 MAs), and postgraduate programs (including 1 MBA).
- In the “Cultural Events Management” department: undergraduate program, master’s-level program, and postgraduate programs (including 1 MBA).
- In the “Multimedia and new technologies” department: undergraduate program, master’s-level program.
Programs for adults:
- In the “Art Market and Expertise” department: postgraduate programs, MBA, certificate program in “Expert Consultant in Cultural Goods and Services,” à la carte classes, and specialized seminars.
- In the “Cultural Events Management” department: MBA, certificate program in “Administrator of Cultural Projects,” various training modules, à la carte classes and specialized seminars.
- In the “Multimedia and new technologies” department: postgraduate programs, à la carte classes, and specialized seminars.
- Finally, IESA offers evening classes and conferences open to the general public.
A professional network in France and abroad
One of IESA’s major assets is its extensive professional network, consisting of professors (more than 450 per year), professional partners, and 14,000 alumni. This network, which extends throughout France and abroad, keeps us at the forefront of academic and professional discussions about the cultural sector, so that we can analyze the professional needs of the industry and adapt our programs accordingly. It also means that any cultural projects undertaken by IESA or its students will receive support and guidance from industry professionals. IESA students have full access to this network for their internships, thesis, projects and research.
An international art school
IESA’s international expansion began nearly 17 years ago with the organization of international conferences and study trips, the invitation of foreign professors, and the opening of IESA offices abroad. Since then, we have always strived to provide international opportunities for our students, preparing them for careers in an increasingly international industry. IESA has now offices and programs in the UK and in China. Our decision to provide intensive ESL classes and English-language programs is part of this global objective. Our institution also provides and encourages international opportunities for our students, from Erasmus programs, or cultural exchanges to internships abroad.
IESA also welcomes every year around14% foreign students.